Design something and do it for good! (Luca De Michele)

As designers, we are the stewards of the communication of knowledge. And it has never been easier, never less expensive… never more immediate, to send messages over great distances to larger and larger populations.

The Internet makes so much sharing possible but may be that the digital will divide of our global society separates humanity into two groups: the technological haves and the have-nots.

This dangerous divide increases the risk that the rich will get richer, while the poor get poorer.

We have a choice to make: to help sell more caffeinated sugar water to children, or to use our skills and our opportunities to help create a better world!

Like one of the NY time article says: Most things that are design are made to solve the problems of the richest 10% of the world. Here are some links about a designer who is solving the problems of the other 90%.

We must act, be heard… and sometimes simply say no… by designing a better yes.

 

“We, the undersigned, are graphic designers, photographers and students who have been brought up in a world in which the techniques and apparatus of advertising have persistently been presented to us as the most lucrative, effective and desirable means of using our talents.” (from the Manifesto, Ken Garland).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NugRZGDbPFU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrjX2XdUfc8

http://www.goodpaper.sg/dont-just-do-good-design-do-good/

http://lamentationsofthe.blogspot.com/2007/05/design-for-poor-people.html

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/29/science/29cheap.html

Advertisements

One Comment on “Design something and do it for good! (Luca De Michele)”

  1. ooxdy says:

    I do not even know how I ended up here, but I thought this post was good.
    I don’t know who you are but certainly you’re going to a
    famous blogger if you are not already 😉 Cheers!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s